About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

"Emmeline" purple mohair knitted cardigan finished

Well, finished except for sewing on the buttons. I started this cardigan in October and finished it this evening. Here it is blocking on the kitchen counter.


It seemed huge while I was knitting it, but when I try it on it is just a nice size to go over an underlayer. If anything, the sleeves are a tad short, but that is okay as a long sleeve t-shirt sleeve can fit nicely underneath.

Update: After blocking it fit perfectly. Here I am modelling the sweater on Christmas Day.


The yarn that was gifted to me by a 90 year old friend of a friend probably dates back to the 1960's, and it reminds me of The Purple People Eater, a silly song from those days.

It will be a cuddly sweater to wear around the house on cold days, and I might even show it in public, judicially - like maybe to the quilting group. Not, I don't think, to the young folks in my art class.

No comments:

Post a Comment