About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

"Raindrops on Water" art quilt completed

Last evening I finished the binding on my latest art quilt that is destined for my art show this summer.

The quilt is called Raindrops on Water. I used reverse appliqué to create the circles within circles. I like the sense of depth created by that technique, plus it is much easier to do needle turn appliqué by turning under a concave edge of an inner circle versus an outer convex edge. I deliberately let the circles be off centre and slightly wonky as I want this quilt to look organic. The appliqué, quilting, and final binding stitching is all by hand, with just the piecing of the 8 inch squares, and the initial application of the bias striped binding done by machine.

The batting is Hobbs Heirloom Washable Wool from Connecting Threads. I love this batting and it is all that I use now. Hand quilted not too closely, as in this case, it is puffy and light and warm. When the batting come out of the bag it is very creased and hard to sandwich, so I put it in the washing machine on a delicate cycle with cold water, no soap, then dry it on the delicate cycle, taking it out while still a tad damp to air dry, spread out to release the wrinkle.  It does not shrink in the washer and dryer, and this treatment makes it easier to use.

Raindrops on Water is 56  by 60 inches in size.

Detail showing the reverse appliqué circles within circles, and and the perlé cotton hand quilting.

The back of the quilt is pieced from grey fabrics.

Detail of the hand quilting from the back of the quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment