About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

College art class final

Our North Island College FIN111 drawing class final was yesterday afternoon. I met the instructor for my portfolio review at 11:30 am, and to pick up my sketchbook which I had handed in the week before.

At noon I zipped off for a quick fabric acquisition session at Fabricland to get fabrics for my wings, then back to the college to get a coffee and butter tart to sustain me for the afternoon session.

At 1 pm the instructor began the class with announcements and guidelines for the critiques of our art works. Eighteen works were pinned to the wall, all at exhibition height. (The class started with 25 students, so 7 must have dropped out during the semester). Of the eighteen works, one student had only done an unfinished pencil sketch - sad to see that he did not complete his work in time for the critique.

The guidelines were to use a full size (36" x 24") sheet of drawing or painting paper, use a drawing technique that we had learned in class, show mark making and use colour. Perspective not required  - show creativity.

I have been enraptured by David Hockney's tree tunnel paintings, so I attempted my own, of our driveway, looking up towards the road. I used oil pastels, lots of lamp oil to blend, and graphite pencil.

My own version of "Spring Tree Tunnel".

No comments:

Post a Comment