About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Free motion quilting "Ocean Currents" and starting "Herring Spawn"

I decided to free motion quilt "Ocean Currents" as I do not have enough hand stamina to hand quilt it. I have been using my collection of trilobal polyester embroidery thread, in shades of blue, gold and lilac, and I think that the effect is quite lovely. I have been following the pattern of the bargello pieces to reinforce the effect of ocean currents.



I have started another wall hanging, this one inspired by the recent Pacific Herring spawn, an amazing annual natural event. The colour of the fabric is the colour of the water when the male fish have released the milt.
Picture borrowed from the Internet.
The stamp is a beautiful Indian carved wood block that I bought at Maiwa a few years ago. I used Versafine ink stamp in a soft brown colour. The fabric is more aqua coloured in actuality.

I am going to hand quilt around each fish with Presencia  50wt sewing thread, and then I think that I will add some beading. The stamped cotton is hand basted to a piece of white felted wool.

No comments:

Post a Comment