About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Dip pen nibs

I have fallen in love with using a dip pen. It is really good for my handwriting, as it makes me slow down so my writing, actually printing, is not quite so illegible. I tend to write so quickly that I miss putting in letters, particularly at the end of words. I do have a few blots, when using the dip pen, but not that many, all things considered!

I have been using a Speedball nib pen, and Speedball black India Ink. Unfortunately, I did not realize that they rust. You need to take the nib out of the holder after each use, clean and dry it,  and leave it in the air, and not store it in a sealed glass jelly jar - ask me how I know. Result is that all of my original nibs are now rusty and do not work properly.

When I was in Vancouver this past week, I went to the Vancouver Pen Shop and bought myself a wood nib holder with a cork finger rest, and 4 new nibs.

Nibs, starting top left: Brause 361 Blue Pumpkin Calligraphy nib, fine point; Zebra G nib; Hung Glove 513EF, and a Brause 511 fine nib (this one needs a special fine nib holder which I omitted to get), and finally the e+m wooden holder, from Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment