About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Drawing class: three-point perspective

The class assignment was to draw a set of stairs (or other structure) going up and going down, then to put these two views together into one composition, and colour with chalk pastels.
I chose to do the ladder stairs that go up to the loft in my studio. They are steep and have indented treads so that knees don't bump on the way up.


I did a number of studies in my sketchbook, and pages of detailed calculations. I needed extra paper taped to the top of my working page to allow for the extension of the auxiliary and central vanishing points. To think that two weeks ago I did not know what those terms meant and how to use them - wow, what it is to get a chance to learn!




Here is the final result with background details and coloured and shaded. Note that I did this composition from a different angle than is shown in the photo above. There are some problems and possible improvements for sure, but it was well received in the class critique today.


This piece is by a fellow student. She chose to draw her barn from two points of view, then to cut out the two view and collage them. Very effective!


No comments:

Post a Comment