About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, January 3, 2016

"Tree of Life" wall hanging completed

I have not officially titled this piece yet, but "Tree of Life" seems appropriate. I still think that the bark markings on the tree look like women's breasts, and I want to reference that obliquely.

I hand dyed the cotton fabric, then drew with my sewing machine, and machine embroidered the details. I painted with textile markers, and finally beaded. The piece is backed with heavy silk burlap fabric, and narrowly bound in dark brown. It has a hanging sleeve, and just needs a label. I am thinking that I will show it at the Vancouver Island Surface Design Association show planned for July 2016.
Current Threads 2016, VISDA, Tulista Gallery, Sidney BC, July 18 - 31, 2016






No comments:

Post a Comment