About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Edge of the Forest exhibit in Calgary

The Surface Design Association of Canada's travelling exhibit, Edge of the Forest, is currently on display in Calgary at the the Fish Creek Branch of Calgary Public Library.
Conveniently, this is the closest library to my family in Calgary. Today my daughter-in-law took the two children to visit the library, and sent me these lovely pictures of my art piece, Cedar Forest, on display. I have blurred the faces of the kids, which makes them look like weird Waldorf dolls, but I think that you can still see what lovely children they are!

Hmmm, I am rather disappointed with the hanging bar at the top which distorts not only mine, but other pieces. It certainly interrupts the flow of the stitching as it soars to the top of the tall cedar tree. On the other hand, I am very pleased that my piece is at eye level, as I like viewers to look at my art up close so they can appreciate the detailed stitch patterns.

Very lovely children, especially in real life when they have faces. But online, they are faceless.


Doesn't this look like a lovely library scene, with teenagers studying together?

No comments:

Post a Comment