About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Friday, January 29, 2016

Creatively today

Today, I finished my three-point perspective drawing, coloured with chalk pastels and conte´crayon, my "Escher" project, for drawing class. I will post a photo when it is on the easel for critique at class on Tuesday afternoon on February 2.
Epic experience! I must have spent close to 20 hours on this project, figuring out perspective, using my geometry tools and calculator to do all the figuring, then, as my instructor said, using my artist's eye. Still many errors, but I am finally satisfied that it is ready for submission this coming Tuesday. It is worth 20% of our term mark. I really don't care about marks, except as they report success in mastering the material. I am in the class to learn, and it is a great privilege to be taking this class and have all the time in the world to do the homework exercises. Education is wasted on the young? - well not wasted, as my university years in my twenties were truly wonderful, but it is really something special to be able to study again at my age of 62, and know that I can learn and love it.

Here is a continuous line drawing, using my newly acquired perspective skills, of our living room fireplace.


And after I finished my homework this afternoon, I worked some more on my Floating Squares/ Yellow Pond Lily quilt. I spent some time juggling the main flower and leaf motifs, and now I am filling in with background fabric.



No comments:

Post a Comment