About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Another basket, from my past . .

I visited a friend last week who brought to my attention a basket of mine that she has owned for some time, that received compliments from her family over the holidays.
What a delight to see this basket again, as I think that it must be one of the nicest that I made during my basket making days, maybe about 5 years ago? I know that the god's eye and weavers are handmade cordage from three kinds of iris, starting with find for the god's eye and getting coarser as the basket took shape. I wonder what I used for that beautiful coiled handle - maybe willow, or perhaps wild honeysuckle? It inspires me to achieve that mastery of the craft again.




No comments:

Post a Comment