About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Green embroidered leaves

I began this decorative quilted wall hanging last year, with a top fabric of natural light weight linen, a quilt batting, and some vaguely Christmas themed fabric in shades of green for the backing and the binding. The red piping adds to the Christmas look of the piece.
I free motion quilted leaves all over the piece, and originally meant to leave it at that. But then I fell in love with beading last year, so I added a row of delicate beads along the central spine of each quilted leaf motif.
When I looked at it again this year, I decided that it needed stem stitch outlining the leaf motifs, in various shades of green perlé cotton. I have been happily embroidering away, having a nice quiet time of it now that the Denman Island Christmas Craft Fair is finished, my drawing class is completed, and my textile art piece has been accepted by the Ferry Building Gallery.
The sweater that I am knitting for my sister-in-law only needs one more cuff and the neck binding, and then it is done. All good! Today I made mince tarts and chocolate dipped shortbreads, and a wonderful dinner of Persian Lamb Polo. All is right with the world!!


No comments:

Post a Comment