About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Calligraphy - maybe . . .

I have been getting interested in pen work for drawing, and this has led me to lettering and calligraphy. A friend asked me earlier this week - what is the difference? So I looked it up, and found this:
Calligraphy is a type of lettering, and yet, it isn’t. In the simplest of terms from typography and design expert Gerrit Noordzij, calligraphy is writing—single pass of the pen/tool to write as a form of art; whereas lettering consists of built-up lettersdrawing with multiple strokes; and typography is writing with prefabricated, designed letters. This is, in essence, what really defines the three from each other. 
I bought a Speedball dip pen a few weeks ago, and I have some black India ink. My husband bought me a pad of calligraphy practice paper for Christmas, and with the gift card from my daughter-in-law I bought myself a lettering book at Chapters on Boxing Day.

I started with the very first lesson in the book, which I thought looked easy. Not so, as you can see from my first attempt with a technical ink pen.  The letter "W" is particularly challenging!

I will try with my dip pen later today and see what happens.





No comments:

Post a Comment