About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Blue scrap quilt

I have put together a quilt entirely from scraps and orphan blocks.
I started with the idea of crumb quilting, and then went from there. I did not make sashed blocks. Instead I just kept sewing large chunks of "made" fabric together until I had a top about 64 by 72 inches. The borders are pieces of blue fabric 4 inches wide and whatever length I could get from larger scraps. It is sort of an improvised log cabin pattern.
The fabrics are mostly blue, with greys and off-whites and just a few spots of colour from prints that were already in the orphan blocks.
The back, not show in the photo below, is also pieced from many larger leftover fabrics in blue and grey.
Pin basting the blue scrap quilt, with a wool batting.

1 comment: