About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Drawing negative space

Drawing class homework was to fill a half sheet of drawing paper with a negative space drawing of a leaf or foliage. The negative space was supposed to be an even shade of dark black and we could use ink rather than the charcoal which we used in class, as the charcoal is SO messy.
I laid three bulrushes with their leaves onto a piece of newsprint, and looked down on the image as I drew it. I found that worked well for finding the negative spaces, and I am quite pleased with the image. Not so much with evenness of the background. I drew with the nib end of a Tombow ABT pen, and filled in the background with the brush tip. It was hard to get an even blackness, even though the Tombow is water soluble, and I went over all the black areas with a wet paint brush to try to even out the tone. Then, the Tombow marker ran out, not surprising given the amount of coverage. So the bottom left hand side is painted in with Chinese ink, with is not as black although the tone is more even. I may need to do another piece to see if I can improve on the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment