About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

"Autumn Leaves" wearable art costume


My costume for the Denman Island Creative Threads Conspiracy Wearable Art Fashion Show has been officially titled "Autumn Leaves", rather than than the working title which was "I Am A Tree".
I was working on the over-vest today.

The over-vest will be a short version of this Tibetan Panel Coat pattern, without the neck band/collar.
I am using a rough weave raw silk that has been machine washed and dried so it is very supple. It shreds a lot, so I am serging all the raw edges before I begin construction. I was thinking it would all be lined, but maybe I will do a hong kong finish on all the inside seams instead.
Appliquéing the bias stems to the centre back panel of the vest.
A sandpaper template for the felt leaves.
The embroidered felt leaves.
Planning the arrangement of the leaves on the back panel of the over-vest.

No comments:

Post a Comment