About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Drawing course: week 3.

Onward! Yesterday we learned about creating volume using tonal range. First we practiced drawing our left hand again, but this time looking for volume not for line.


Six tones to include: highlight, light, reflected light, shadow, core shadow and cast shadow. I only got a few of those in the quick sketch below of a plastic orange fruit, viewed from above.


I am beginning to "get" using charcoal. I still find it really messy, but the depth of black and range of tones is amazing, and it is really fast. I had used my graphite stick for last week's exercise, and it was not nearly as effective. We learned about using fixative spray today. The archival art spray smelling like sniffing glue - eewhew, so I bought some unscented hairspray instead. Not archival, but this is for my sketchbook. Posterity will have to deal with it ;-)

Below is a charcoal sketch at home in the evening yesterday, of an apple. I think that I managed to incorporate all 6 tonal values. Lots more work needed indeed. Used charcoal pencil, which is easier on the hands but too small for a big work. Sprayed with the hairspray when done.


No comments:

Post a Comment