About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, August 3, 2015

Homage to Leonard Cohen


These two wall hangings are art for art's sake. I did not measure, or plan. I just made what pleased me the way that I would do a sketch and paint it. I did the blue piece first, and I just knew as it progressed that it would be "Bird on the Wire" after the Leonard Cohen song. Once of his earliest songs, that I remember from the year 1970 that I was 17, a first year student at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Where do the years go???
Then I finished the second piece and it had to be "Suzanne". I don't know how many more will be in the series. Just going with my inspiration.

"Bird on the Wire" wall hanging. Love the Japanese Echino Atori blue bird fabric

Hand quilted with #8 perle cotton. Spider web at the bottom with DMC gold embroidery thread.
I hand stamped a bird image on the taupe fabric, and outlined it with a single ply of gold embroidery thread.

"Suzanne" quilted wall hanging. English paper pieced hexagons. Machine free motion quilted. Side borders and backed with Osnaburg fabric. Bound with natural linen.





No comments:

Post a Comment