About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Crochet covered rocks

After a long hiatus, I have been making some more crochet covered rocks.



I use strong smooth cotton crochet thread, and a small rigid steel crochet hook. I start with a ring of single crochet, then work out in a flat circle, using regular increases to achieve this, until the top of the rock can be covered with the crocheted fabric.



I keep the rock next to me to measure my work.



At this point, I switch to working rounds without increases so that the crochet makes a tubular shape. A combination of double crochet and scallop stitches give the fabric flexibility.
When the rock fits nicely inside the fabric, I insert it and close up the bottom. This is done with a regular series of single crochet, smaller on each round. This make a firm and durable base for the covered rock. When the bottom is covered, I break the thread and close up with needle and the thread end.


No comments:

Post a Comment