About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Embellishments for the wearable art jacket

I want my Chinese inspired jacket for the wearable art show to be arty, and ethnic looking, as per my theme, but I also don't want it to look like a costume. I want it to be wearable.

So I am keeping the fabrics subdued: a dark blue black (woven cotton with some stretch, hope this works with the non-stretch lining) for the outer jacket, and a dark blue silk lining, with the only patterned fabric a wax print cotton for the lower sleeves. I am making the collar, sleeve bands, and front facings from dark velvet scraps, and have devised a simple appliqué and embroidery motif to decorate the bands.

The motif is inspired by design elements from my LaFazio art class. The wheel design is a the bottom of Brace and Bit.

Circle of velvet, raw edged and glue basted. Blanket stitch in blue #8 perle cotton, and a simple flower motif in the centre with a single gold bead. Gold silk piping on the edges of the bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment