About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Final work on "Interconnections" quilted wall art

My cold was still bad today, so I just holed up in the studio and worked on "Interconnections".
I finished the free motion machine quilting, and I am *very* proud of my feathers.

Then I made many yards of skinny piping using narrow drapery cord and the gold coloured silk. Piping is a whole lot of work, but I love the effect.

I curved the four corners and cut gentle curves on all the edges. Then I applied the piping, followed by a bias strip cut 2 1/2 inches wide, then folded, of the soft green to act as a facing. It all worked so well, and the piping really helps to turn a facing nicely.

When I had pressed it all, and hand hemmed the facing to the back, I look a long look and decided that the negative spaces on both sides were too large and boring, even with all those fantastic feathers. So I added a row of beading along the spine of one long feather. I will take a look tomorrow and see if I think that more beading will improve the overall look.




The faced edging on the back.




No comments:

Post a Comment