About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Mini medallion quilt with Fingerprint fabric centre panel

Last autumn, Fingerprint Fabrics  in the United Kingdom offered free shipping to Canada, so I jumped at the chance to try out some of their fabrics. I ordered a roll of the Warm Collection. The prints are distinctive; I would describe them as digitally altered photographs printed onto fine, tight weave, high thread count cotton.

I used an entire piece of fabric (each piece is about 23 cm by 23 cm), in their pattern called "Winter Oaks"as a centre panel for my mini quilt.  I analyzed the colours in the Fingerprint fabric as a complimentary colour scheme of blue and orange. I used other fabrics, both solids and prints and a batik, in varying values of blue and orange, to border the panel. I used a wool batting which, along with the hand quilting in #8 perle cotton, gives a lovely loft to the piece.







The back of the quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment