About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Framing my art on paper

I had not previously realized that one of the big advantages of textile art is that it does not need to be framed. My watercolours and a painted block print for the Arts Denman Summer Art Gallery's first show of the season, of works by our local watercolour painting group, need to be framed. This is a first for me.
On the advice of a fellow member of the group, I ordered a bulk order of 5 black metal exhibition frames from Opus. I ordered five  11 x 14 " frames, and five mats with a 8 x 10 " opening. Along with some linen tape and a very reasonable shipping $10 fee, and taxes, the cost per frame is $28.00. Yowza, that means the cost of the frame itself is already more than many folks might want to pay for an amateur effort.
Ah well, it is not an unreasonable expense, and it is all part of the activity, which I am enjoying so much.
Framing materials spread out on the dining room table.
The show will be at the Denman Island Arts Centre from May 20 to 26, 2015. Everyone in the group will show a few pieces, and in addition, we have all agreed to do an art work based on this photo of Max's beautiful new rooster:


I do not like painting from photographs, so I chose to make a linocut block. I experimented with block printing inks (which ran when I tried to colour the print with watercolour) and black acrylic paint, which is waterproof but does not give as nice and clear a print image.

I am calling this the Artist Proof.
In the end, I decided to frame this one:


Here are two of my watercolours framed. Impossible to photograph once they are framed!


No comments:

Post a Comment