About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Friday, February 6, 2015

New online art course begins today! Pink Spotted Hellebore painting.

Hurrah, today is lesson 1 of Jane LaFazio's intermediate class Sketching and Watercolor in a Mixed Media Journal.
Assignment: Select something from nature that is relatively complex and interesting to you. You are going to draw different parts of it, and from different views, then if you’d like, play with creating some stylized images based on the realistic ones. There’s no right or wrong, make this lesson your own and take some time for creative play.

I chose an early blooming hellebore from the front garden. I love doing these assignments because I have to really, truly LOOK at what I am drawing. I saw so much in this blossom that I had not realized was there. Then I looked it up online, and found these fabulous web sites
www.helleborus.de/engl/botany.htm
and
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmay10/bj-hellebore.html
where I found much of the information that I noted on my drawing.

Here is PINK SPOTTED HELLEBORE!


No comments:

Post a Comment