About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

"Garden Anticipation" quilted art show at the local Community Activity Centre

I finally finished the series of nine medallion art quilts that I made as part of Karen H.'s Soupçon quilt along on her blog Faeries and Fibres.

I did not make the final foundation paper pieced borders as I thought that it would make the quilts too large, and frankly, I have a hard time with foundation paper piecing. In the spirit of the quilt along, that means that I should have done it, to raise my comfort level. However, not. Instead I did a lot of embroidery and hand quilting, and in one case beading, that I really enjoyed. It was hard to stop embellishing. Each quilt has an embroidered cobweb motif as a signature.

The local Community Activity Centre has a nice lounge area where local artists may hang art. Annie Siegel has had her art hanging for a few months, so it was time for a change and I am lucky to have my quilts hanging in the lounge while Jenny is running the Kaffee Klatsch there three days a week.

I am calling the show "Garden Anticipation".

"Pansy Garden"

"Carnations"

"Blue Leaves"

"Rosebush"

Rhododendron"

"Hollyhock"

"Night Garden"

"Grape Arbour"

"Rose Campion"

Quilts on display in the lounge.

A quilt on each side of the serving window.

Quilts near the coffee and water dispensers.

No comments:

Post a Comment