About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Doll completed: "Green Gardening Girl"

I started making this doll last November, when I was exploring doll making. That exploration resulted in five Tilda dolls which I sold at the Christmas Craft Fair. They were sewn from natural linen, stuffed with wool roving and had various outfits of cotton clothing and knitted wool garments.

This doll languished while I searched for a wire coat hanger that was required as a loom to create her hair. Wire coat hangers were formerly ubiquitous in my world, but since I retired from work 6 years ago, dry cleaning has disappeared from my life and so have wire coat hangers.

She is the "Tara" doll from The Complete Photo Guide to Doll Making. She is made from natural wool felt died with tea, stuffed with wool roving from local Sandstone Farms, her clothing is cotton, and her hair, socks and scarf are wool.

I finished her this week, and will be donating her to Seedy Saturday for their raffle, so I have named her Green Gardening Girl in honour of that event.


No comments:

Post a Comment