About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Hi, I am Jean Cockburn and I blog here at http://whenyouloveblue.blogspot.ca/

I have been tagged to participate in the Around the World Blog Hop by a fellow textile artist from Denman Island, British Columbia, Barb Mortell who blogs at http://houseofbug.blogspot.ca/ . Barb is a wonderfully creative person, and I have been privileged to take several quilting classes from her. Each class has brought my practice to a higher level.

Forthwith are my responses to the blog hop questions.

1. What am I working on?
I have just finished taking a 6 week course in Sketching and Watercolor Journal Style from Jane LaFazio. It was wonderful and my watercolour painting skills really improved over the 6 weeks. Below is the very first fruit painting that I did for the class in week 1, then my hiking boot painting from week 5. Can you see the same improvement that I can see?
Fruit sketch and painting from Week #1 of Jane LaFazio's course.
Shoe sketch and painting from week #5 of Jane LaFazio's course.

My quilting continues to be very satisfying. I have a modern improvised quilt, Syncopation, juried into the QuiltCon exhibit in Austin Texas in February, 2015. I will be at QuiltCon for the first time - wow.
Syncopation quilt that is going to QuiltCon.
My abstract quilted wall piece, Cedar Forest, has been accepted into the Surface Design Associations's travelling exhibit Edge of the Forest, which will begin in March 2015.
Cedar Forest, abstract wall hanging for Edge of the Forest exhibit.
I have a representative quilted wall hanging, Sailboat at Anchor in Baynes Sound, on display at the Comox Valley Airport from December 2014 until May 2015 - that is also a juried show.
Sailboat at Anchor in Baynes Sound, currently on display at the Comox Valley Airport.
My abstract quilted wall piece, Salmon River Run, was very well received and sold quickly at a local charity auction. I began working on this piece at one of Barb Mortell's workshops where she really helped me to understand the possibilities of inserted curved piecing.
Detail of Salmon River Run. The entire piece is over 6 feet long, and the new owner has it hung horizontally so it truly looks like a river.

I have original knitting patterns available on Ravelry, under designer name Arbutus Books.

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?  
I try to take a fresh approach to all that I do, to follow some rules but not others. I am very interested in technique, so that I can make a perfect bound edge, but I am also relaxed about imperfect points in patchwork, because it is the overall effect that is important to me. I try not to take myself or my work too seriously.
3. Why do I create what I do?  I just love making things and always have done so. I knit, crochet, tat, embroider, do beading, make baskets, make dolls and toys, sew clothes, quilt, do needlepoint, sketch and paint, dye and stamp fabrics, collage and make cards. It is just so incredibly satisfying!

4. How does my creative process work?  I am not one who plans ahead. I almost never make notes or a sketch ahead of time when I design a quilt, create a doll, or cover a rock with crochet. I just seem to get an idea in my head, and then I work it through in the actual doing. I always have lots of projects going on at one time, but they all get done in a timely manner. I am a very neat and organized person which is oddly not a conflict with continually starting new projects before others are finished.

I would like to tag the following artists to also participate in the Around the World Blog Hop:

Jane LaFazio's at http://janeville.blogspot.ca/  and Catherine Nicholls at  http://ravensthread.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment