About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, November 3, 2014

Making Tilda dolls

 A sweater knitted for a Tilda doll. The cable patterning is my own.

Another sweater for a doll. I ran out of the red yarn, so had to improvise. I rather like the red and purple result.
I am making Tilda dolls using natural linen. The dolls are lovely in their simplicity, but like so many beautiful things, that simplicity is not effortless. I borrowed a couple of books from the public library, so have some patterns to work with. The first doll has the extremely long legs and arms of the original pattern. It was hard to stuff those extenuated extremities, and I think they look odd, so my second doll has shorter arms and legs.

First doll, made following the pattern. 

The pattern calls for eyes made with a dot of ink, but I glued on these instead.
Second doll with shorter arms and legs, and felt boots sewn on. I have sewn the shoulders too high - these dolls are tricky to get right. I am sewing a dress from a pattern in the library book, and it does not fit correctly because of the wrong shoulder placement and the shortened arms. These dolls are very carefully designed, as  I am realizing as I madk a few. Luckily the green cabled sweater at the top of this post seems to cover up those Olympic swimmer shoulders.



No comments:

Post a Comment