About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Linen apron

I have been wanting a linen apron for years and this weekend I decided to make one. I had made up the Simplicity pattern before in size medium, and it was huge. After trolling the internet looking up Japanese wrap over linen aprons, I decided this was still the best pattern.
So, I cut it out in size small and carried on. Construction modifications: french seams on the sides and shoulder, and the bias binding is double fold of a 2" strip. On the pockets, the binding was seamed on the wrong side, folded to right side and top stitched. The outer edge of the apron is one marvellous long mobius strip, quite the most wonderful thing. I seamed the binding to the wrong side, then folded it over on the seam line (which I sewed at 1/4") to the right side and top stitched. This made the shoulder seams slightly narrower, which I wanted, and made a lovely clean finish.
I love this lovely apron and highly recommend this pattern.




No comments:

Post a Comment