In January 2014 I suggested a challenge to our local quilt group, to do a Dear Jane quilt of their own interpretation.
No one but me ended up doing it, and even I lost interest after doing a few block variations. I finished the project by appliquéing hexagons to my 4.5" white squares in order to make up enough blocks. So every block is not a different design, and there a few fabric repetitions in the hexagons as well. But the final result is still pretty.
I am going to donate this quilt to the Vancouver Hospice, a wonderful hospice where a dear friend died earlier this year.
|The completed quilt.|
I decided to make it lap quilt size (yes, I really was running out of interest in this project). I used a cheerful fabric for the backing and machine quilted it. I used a free motion pattern of a flower in each square and curlicues in the sashing. After washing and machine drying, the quilting does not really show up, so that is a lesson not to be too detailed with machine quilting in this kind of project.
|Detail of a block made when I was still full of enthusiasm for this project. I appliquéd and embroidered these leaves. I did a variation on my usual free motion flower, and added a cobweb which I like to include in every one of my quilts.|
|The quilt backing.|