About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Friday, August 15, 2014

Hand quilting a Soupçon wallhanging

I have been invited to be the featured artist on the art display wall at our local General Store in September.
The art display space is small, but eye catchingly placed above the fruit bins and the newspaper shelves.
I have been trying to decide what to put up there, and have decided to finish one of my Soupçon quilts. I have only finished this one to the end of Part 5. Part 6 is to make a border of foundation paper pieced diamonds. Although I intend to do the Part 6 border on some of my Soupçon quilts, it would make this one too large for the display space. So I have drawn some freehand embroidery designs with a Frixion pen, and on this rainy day I plan to hand quilt it with #8 perle cotton.

Blurry photo of the sandwiched and basted quilt, marked for quilting.

The colours of #8 perle cotton that I have chosen for the quilting.

A detail of my free hand drawn quilting design.


No comments:

Post a Comment