About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Appliqué and embroidery on linen - an original improvised design

Wow, the Alberta wedding was fun! Family time together is so amazing. Now I am crippled from dancing too much - oh I am getting old. Better to sit and sew. I am reviewing my ongoing projects now that I am back in the studio.

The first project that I have picked up is my linen appliqué and embroidery piece. It is improvised from some pieced ½" hexagon flowers and leaf shapes that I had left over from one of my Soupçon quilt along projects, some circles that I made because I wanted to try out my new templates, and a lovely rectangle of linen fabric left over from my Dragonfly wearable art costume. And of course all of the DMC embroidery floss that I keep buying because I love the colours.

The linen fabric is just lovely to work with and does not seem to crease no matter how much I crush it in my hand as I manipulate to do the embroidery. I am not using a hoop. I never do either for hand quilting or for embroidery as I just find hoops so irritating and limiting. I am very careful with my tension as I draw up my thread, and it seems to work fine. This linen has enough stability to be working wonderfully.

Appliqué complete and the embroidery design drawn with a Frixion pen. I started with the green pen but it was not showing up well, so I switched to the brown pen.

I love to free hand draw leaves.


Picture taken this morning of the embroidery of stems and leaves that I finished last evening. Please excuse my thumb in the photo. 

Detail of stems and leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment