About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, June 7, 2014

"Mountain Spring" nephew quilt finished

I have completed the quilt for my nephew's wedding and named it Mountain Spring. The grey fabric with the spots of colour look like wildflowers in the mountains in springtime, and the diagonal lines of blue across the quilt look like cascades of snow melt in the mountains in spring.

Mountain Spring Quilt.
I finished the quilt with free motion quilting in the wide borders. I did three rows of leaves and swirls, and a big cobweb in one corner. I try to put a cobweb into all of my free motion quilting designs.

Here is the cobweb on the reverse side of the quilt.
The cobweb design on the front of the quilt is subtle because I used dark grey thread to blend with the fabric.
The back of the quilt is fabric that I bought at Ikea a few years ago. It is numbers spelled out in words, which is appropriate at my nephew is a mathematics teacher.

The back of the quilt

The quilt label.

No comments:

Post a Comment