About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Artistic endeavours; one watercolour and the rest textile

Some new art projects on the go.

On Tuesday our watercolour painting group worked outside at Fillongley Beach. We all worked on painting the wonderful clouds on the eastern horizon. 
This will be a wallhanging. The background is a beautiful handkerchief linen. I am teaching myself how to needle turn appliqué leaves. My points are not perfect, but it is fun trying. I have been making fabric circles using Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles templates, and I will add those next, then lots of embroidery. I am incorporating techniques that I learned from the Soupçon Quilt Along from the wonderful Karen H and her excellent blog Faeries and Fibres.
Lat year I made about almost a hundred 4 inch blocks from scrap fabrics, fabrics left over from making my It All Comes From the Sun wallhanging. I loved the combination of subtle blues and yellows, with the occasional dark brown and medium green so much, and could not bear to discard the leftovers. So I made the squares just because, and they sat in a box for a year. Then this week, when other projects were done and I could creatively play, I took them out and worked on my design wall. I was inspired by the Surface Design Association's call for entries for The Edge of the Forest exhibition. The size limitations are 16 inches wide by 28 inches tall, max. So I can use 28 blocks each for three different compositions, and I have 4 blocks left over to make a sampler to test quilting stitches. Meant to be!


First composition pieced. I think of rays of sunlight on water.

Second composition pieced. I think this is a summer meadow.

Third composition pieced. This is forest trees, deconstructed.

Starting the thread work on the third composition. I have quilted in some tree shapes and am thinking where to go next. The thread drawing comes more easily to me than drawing with a pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment