About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Adding to the nephew quilt

I finished the binding on the nephew wedding quilt last night, spread it out on the floor and thought - hmmm, that Sarah Fielke knows what she is doing with this design. It does need some colour pop and circle shapes to counter all those squares.
I got out my collection of 1 inch hexagons and laid them out in the sashing. I tried 2 inch hexagons first, and they did not work, but I really like the look of the smaller hexies.

It does look nice with all those extra pops of colour!
So, here we go! I am appliquéing hexies like crazy, and hand quilting around them at the same time. So two passes for each hexie, using dark grey 50 weight poly Gutermann thread; first I appliqué the hexie, then I go around the outer edge of it, through all layers to hand quilt. Fast this way, and it looks nice.
Whooee, the wedding is in just over 3 weeks, so I have to move it!

No comments:

Post a Comment