About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Working on my wearable art costume

I worked today on my wearable art costume. I am making the side front panels from muslin that I am stamping with dragonflies in gold acrylic paint. I spent a happy morning experimenting with black screen printing ink, this gold acrylic paint and another dark yellow paint, with fabric crayons and with Seta fabric markers. In the end, I decided to go with the gold acrylic paint. When I got it right, which was not always, it showed the best detail, and I liked the look.
For my main fabric, I will be using an oatmeal coloured linen, and I think the gold paint will be a sweeter design than the dark black printing ink.

Spreading the  gold acrylic ink with a brayer on a disposable palette sheet. One of my rubber stamps is ready to use.

I outlined the shape of the side front on 2 pieces of fabric using dressmaker's carbon paper.

I screen printed the large drabonflies and stamped the smaller ones, within the defined shape. 

The gold printed dragonflies are very beautiful I think.

These are paper pieced octagons. I am thinking of using them and small yo-yos for decoration on the sleeves and around the neckline.

No comments:

Post a Comment