About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Trial run for my wearable art project

Today I finished the "muslin" for my wearable art project. I made it from loosely woven blue solid cotton fabric on hand, and the side front panels from a separate printed voile as there was not enough of the blue solid. I rather like the contrast, which gave me the idea to stencil the dragonflies onto muslin for the side front panels of the real thing which will be made from linen.
I had to take a pleat of 1 1/4 inches on both the centre front and the centre back. I like it as a design feature so I am going to repeat it. The pleats are stitched down as far as the waistline. I found some sweet buttons in my box, so used those on the front pleat as embellishment.
I don't like floppy sleeves, so I gathered these at the bottom and finished with a narrow binding of the printed voile. On my costume I will probably want to embellish the lower sleeves, so will not repeat this.
I turned the hem up twice by an inch, I just eyeballed, and stitched it down.
This is very light and floaty and I rather think that I will be wearing it this summer. On the deck, wine glass in hand, sun slipping behind the western mountains . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment