About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Embroidery

We arrived home late Friday from our ten day Alberta road trip that included three separate family visits, seeing our young grandchildren for the first time after a whole year, reconnecting with old friends and sadly, ended in Vancouver with the funeral of a dear friend. It was quite an experience.

I deliberately did not take any creative work with me as I knew that I would not have time to concentrate (plus I needed to read a book, write a review for the Flagstone and submit it  by May 10 - for the Denman Island Readers and Writers Festival - which I managed to do on time, whew) so I was more than ready to make art again when we got home.

I started slowly by picking up a piece that I have been working on gradually over the past year. I am almost finished the final embroidery, and am starting to think of a title for this piece. I am thinking of "Gaia Has a Green Navel" - or maybe "Gaia Has a Green Belly Button" - probably the first one. I have joined the Surface Design Association  and hope that I may be able to submit it for a show sometime.


No comments:

Post a Comment