About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Using up scraps for sewing studio accessories and a really, really ugly quilt

I finished machine quilting and binding the quilt that I made from Christmas scraps that were hanging around the studio after the Christmas Craft Faire activity. Is it the ugliest quilt that I have ever made? Possibly! Because of the bird patterned fabrics, which are more obvious on the back of the quilt (and that photo was a disaster, thus not shown here) I have named it Christmas Birds.
I think that I had the better creative experience making the label. I used a bird stamp that I got from Maiwa last month - it is a metal stamp designed to be used with wax but I used it with a Versafine ink pad. Then I coloured it with Sharpie markers. The markers bled into the muslin fabric, so then I outlined it again with a Dritz fabric marking pen. Kind of fun :-)

The ugly quilt. 

Label for the ugly quilt.
And I keep making hexagons for a quilt - that is just sooo much fun. I bought some white fabric today for the path between the hxagon flowers. I know that making white hexies is going to be extremely boring, but although I tried to convince myself that some patterned grey fabrics in my stash would work, putting them up on my design wall showed very clearly that that a light neutral is needed to highlight the hexagon flowers.
Hexagon flowers awaiting their path.
And, following on the success of my scrap sewing machine cover, I made a pad for my sewing chair. Extras from my hexagon projects to make the fabric, and a double layer of scraps of batting to give it some oomph. Comfortable and pretty!

My sewing chair pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment