About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Apron

I have a head cold that is heading to my chest, and except for a brief foray to the outside world to wrap gifts for the community Christmas hampers this morning, I have been staying quiet and cosy in my studio, saving J. from the sounds of my sneezing and coughing. I have all my Christmas sewing and knitting done, and I don't feel up to completing any of the major projects that are in waiting, so I have been playing.
Yesterday and today I started two projects, a Christmas apron for myself and an origami card ornament. I will show the latter in another post. This one is all about the apron.
When I visited Granville Island in October, I discovered where the Cloth Shop had moved. This is one of the last local quilt shops left in Vancouver, as online shopping has taken over the sale of quilting fabrics. I bought five fat quarters of beautiful Moda Christmas fabric, and only used a little of it to make my patchwork balls. I decided to use the remainder to make my apron.
I used this pattern:

I added my own embellishments to create this:



The pattern called for 1/2 inch binding. I made my own with a Clover bias tape binding maker, that created binding 1/4 inch wide. I started to apply it with the attachment from my old Singer, that I used on my new small Janome, but I finally realized that I was better just carefully sewing it on using my regular sewing foot. I am very pleased with the binding, and with the whole pretty apron.



No comments:

Post a Comment