About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

McTavishing the Seminole quilt

In May our quilting group had a two day class with Carol Piercy on designing Seminole pattern quilts. I enjoyed the class, and Carol's excellent teaching, and made many strips of Seminole piecing. But then I was very busy getting ready for my summer art show, and it languished.
In September I put it all together into a quilt, with lots of white sashing. This is a departure for me, but I see white fabric used often as part of modern quilt design, and it certainly does make for a fresh and attractive quilt.
Ellen helped me to sandwich and pin the quilt - she is a master of precision. The backing is a very light voile type fabric, a mixture of cotton and linen, also plain white.
Then I started free motion quilting, using a variety of patterns. The Creative Threads Conspiracy and the making of my Shoreline costume for the Wearable Art Show interrupted the work yet again.
Finally, today, I picked it up and am determined to get it finished. I am onto the final borders, hurrah. The white fabric highlights the quilting beautifully. I did swirls on the white inner border, and now I am McTavishing the outer white border. I tried McTavishing before and could not get the hang of it. Now I am doing is successfully, if not as beautifully as the example on the Leah Day website.
The quilt t is bigger that I originally planned. After quilting queen sized Dragonfly Summer for the art show I had decided not to make that large a quilt again. Never say never. This quilt is not small and moving it around the machine is something of a struggle. But I love how it is turning out. What shall I call it? I am thinking Sun, Sea and Sand.

McTavishing the outer white border.

Bubble quilting pattern on the inner sashing.
McTavishing in progress


Work in progress.


The outer and inner white borders.


No comments:

Post a Comment