About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Wearable art, aka a dress with lots of embellishments

What have I been doing? Well, I went to Canmore with my old school friends for a weekend of shopping, eating and just being together. Then I came home for 3 days before heading off for another weekend in San Francisco visiting J.'s twin sister. While in SF I went to the Kinokuniya bookstore (that was fun, taking buses all over the city in the rain - getting lost on public transit is absolutely the best way to see a city) and treated myself to some wonderful Japanese craft books: Applemints Girls Style, crochet cuties;
Lacework mini-doily, more crochet;
Patchwork Tsushin Number 176 October 2013 magazine, and two books of making little stuffed figures - which given that the instructions are only in Japanese might be beyond my ken. The crochet books use international schematics and are a joy to work with.

Before and after my vacations, I worked on hand quilting a quilt with #8 perle cotton. I was asked to collaborate on a quilt with two other quilters - what an honour! I did not think that I should post a picture until the quilt is bound and on show at a local gallery.

Now I am busy working away on my wearable art piece for the Creative Threads Conspiracy Wearable Art Fashion Show to be held on the evening of October 26, "A special feature this year will be the wearable art fashion show which be the free entertainment to accompany Saturday night's dinner. This promises to be unforgettable!  Costumes are made of whatever the creator fancies and are all distinctly unique."




No comments:

Post a Comment