About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Midsummer Garden quilt completed, and how I made it.


Midsummer Garden Quilt and How I Made It

The completed quilt. Apologies for the fuzzy photo. I will try to get a better one. This is draped over the sofa in my studio. The binding is a solid dark brown.
On the design board. I began by piecing 16 blocks, each 18 inches square. Each lare square is a solid colour, with a coordinating print square in the centre. The 4 small corner squares are all the same lime green print. I used a pattern for a square from Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match, which I sized up to 18 inches.
This is the full size sketch of my planned free motion machine quilting design for each block.


I layered each square with 100% cotton batting and a backing of pre-shrunk Osnaburg cotton. I used the directions for "quilt-as-you-go" from Harriet Hargreave's Heirloom Machine Quilting book. It allowed me to do intricate quilting of each square, see below, but it was a lot of work. I will probably not do this again and just go for quilting the whole quilt at one time. 
Each 18 inch square was free motion quilted from centre out. I started with a flower shape, that I found on Leah Day's site, then surrounded that with my own invented leaves and ferns in the corners. I used 30 weight cotton quilting thread in beige and grey. Then I went back with white very fine serger thread and filled in all the spaces with free motion quilted pebbling.  I kept the quilting 2 inches from the edges to allow for joining the squares. The Osnaburg backing fabric is fabulous for its 3D effect from the quilting.

A square with the initial quilting completed.










No comments:

Post a Comment