About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dragonfly Garden quilt top all pieced and ready to sandwich and machine quilt

I have been working on piecing the quilt top with the English paper pieced hexagons as the centre.
The first dragonfly block border has been added. The soft greyish green sashing does not show up in the photo.

Sewing on the last dragonfly border.
The dragonfly stamped blocks.
I stamped some 4 inch blocks with a dragonfly motif, then highlighted the dragonfly body with a gilt pen. That worked so well that I made 8 inch blocks stamped with a tree branch motif. I highlighted the branch with a brown Sharpie pen, and the leaves with different green Sharpie pens. I used Staz-On and VersaFine stamp pads, which worked really well. Here is a great site which compares stamp pads for use on fabric http://www.crafttestdummies.com/craft-product-reviews/comparison-of-stamp-pad-inks-on-fabric/  and http://www.crafttestdummies.com/craft-product-reviews/review-of-versafine-stamp-pad-by-tsukineko/ .

The branch squares being positioned on the design board.


I put it all together with a really lovely subtle soft greyish green solid fabric used in sashing between all the coloured blocks. I am really happy with the result, and have decided to call the quilt Dragonfly Garden.

It is all pieced, at and 86 by 96 inches I think that I can call it a queen size quilt. I am going to baste the quilt sandwich together on Saturday afternoon, with my friend Ellen to help me.

I am still deciding on the backing. I know that I want it to be a light coloured solid to showcase the free motion quilting that I am planning. I have a bolt of Osnaburg which I purchased from Nancy's Notions. The Osnaburg worked so well in the Midsummer Garden quilt to show off the quilting stitches. I also have a really light and lovely cotton/silk mix that I think I will actually use. I appliqu├ęd the hexagons onto a silk square, so I rather like to continue to use some more silk. It will also make a lighter quilt than would be the case with Osnaburg. I plan on using a pure cotton batting, which will be heavier than a 80/20% cotton/poly batting - but the pure cotton really sticks to the front and backing fabrics and does not shift during machine quilting, which is a real bonus. The 80/20% cotton/poly batting is much easier to hand quilt, and I have been using it for my small wall quilts that are heavily hand quilted.

No comments:

Post a Comment