About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hexagons and linen

My fascination with hexagons continues. I purchased some wonderful linen fabric from my friend Barb. She showed me a square that had been washed compared to one that was off the bolt, and the amount of shrinkage convinced me to wash, dry and iron my 5 yards before embarking on any projects.

I made some classic English paper pieced hexagons, and the shifting/wobbly nature of the washed fabric was okay given the control that is ensured with that method. I will incorporate those into another project, and probably make more as they are a nice neutral background.

When I tried the project pictured below - a variation of Japanese reversible/kaleidoscope patchwork where the backing fabric is wrapped to the front around a layer of batting and face fabric - the wobbliness of the linen at first dismayed me. But, I think that I like the final result, with its slight variations in size that meant the pieces had to be eased together in some places.

I want to try it again with my special Liberty cotton prints that I have been saving for the perfect project. Maybe squares, like the ones that I made before, from the book that I bought in San Francisco two years ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment