About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Slippers for Christmas

I knit these slippers using Paddy O'Connell's "6 Strand Slippers" pattern. Paddy wrote the pattern for Sandstone Farm's unspun natural yarn, made from their Romney sheep. Paddy asked me to test the pattern. The project went quickly on 9 mm needles, but I found using the large needles and manipulating the bulky yarn to be awkward and tiring for my hands. I knit the two slippers about a week apart, and the first one seems distinctly larger - a small change in tension makes quite a difference when working at this gauge.
The slippers are very attractive and should mold to the feet, so I am sure that the apparent size difference will soon disappear. A quick and rewarding project, but I am not a convert to knitting with big needles and bulky yarn.

This is the true colour of the yarn.

Here are the slippers. They appear grey in this photo, but are actually brown as in the  pic above.

No comments:

Post a Comment