About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pasta Casserole - Best Ever and Mutsu Apple Pie

Easy, quick and so delicious. And it will feed us for at least two more meals. The perfect casserole.
How I made it:
I had about 1/4 cup of leftover chicken fat and olive oil that I had skimmed off the drippings from a roast chicken last week. Next time, not having that, I will use 1/4 cup olive oil to sauté a chopped onion.
I added 3 minced cloves of garlic, and a large can of diced tomatoes. Then a small acorn squash -seeded, peeled and diced- and salt and pepper and dried basil.
While that was simmering I boiled 4 dry cups of rigatoni for 10 minutes. I put the cooked pasta into the sauce, dumped in a whole bunch of crumbled feta cheese, then put it into a large shallow baking dish.
Baked in a 350F oven for 30 minutes, and voila!
It was fairly salty because of the feta, but I like that.

Here is the sauce simmering. The squash shows green near the rind. I bought it this afternoon from Gary Piercy at the Westisle Farm Produce Shack and it is so fresh and delicious. The seeds had not formed inside the squash.

Deep dish apple pie made from Mutsu apples from my neighbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment