About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Harvest dinner of baked pork chops with sauerkraut and apples

On the weekend I bought fresh from the field rutabaga and carrots from Westisle Farm and my neighbours have been loading us with apples. Dinner tonight included those lovely fresh things. I made up the recipe myself, so am very proud. My husband said it was delicious.

Wonderful Pork Chops with Sauerkraut and Apples
I browned three large pork chops in a heavy cast iron pan. Meanwhile, I rinsed a jar of sauerkraut and peeled, cored and sliced 4 apples, and sliced an onion. I soaked a clay baker in water for 10 minutes. Then I put the sauerkraut into the clay baker, and placed the browned pork chops on top and added salt and pepper. I browned the onions and apples in the frying pan, then sloshed in some white wine to deglaze and poured all that over the pork chops. Put the (also soaked) lid on top of the clay baker, and into a 325F oven for 1 1/2 hours.

This is what is left in the dish after dinner for two, so lots of nice leftovers for tomorrow.
Harvest Vegetables with Butter and Nutmeg
I peeled and cubed a medium rutabaga, two large carrots, and a large Gravenstein apple. Boiled for 15 minutes, drained and dried over low heat. Large knob of butter, salt and pepper and a generous grating of nutmeg, than a coarse mashing, leaving large recognizable chunks of veggie. So good!

Sorry, dark kitchen and blurry picture. This is also after dinner, so leftovers await.

No comments:

Post a Comment