About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Advent Calendar

I have made this quilted advent calendar for my grandchildren, using this pattern from Sew Mama Sew by Ohfransson.
I was in Vancouver on the weekend, and I made a wonderful trip to Dressew (and Opus Art Supplies and Atex Fabric Liquidators) on West Hastings Street where I picked up all sorts of fun things to put in the pockets as gifts.

The completed quilted advent calendar without any gifts in the pockets.

Each number was traced onto interfacing, cut out, stitched on with two rounds of satin stitching, then highlighted with gold metallic stitching in the centre of the number. It was a lot of work, especially with little circles as in the 8's. It took me two half days to do the numbers, definitely the most time consuming part of the project. If I do it again, I will use stick on numbers, or beads or buttons - all of which I got from Dressew last Friday.


The red fabric is the square behind the pocket. Each printed fabric piece is lined to make the pocket, then sashing is added. Very ingenious pattern.

I used a Christmas fabric for the backing, and put rod pockets at the top corners as indicated in the pattern. I also added two loops of my own at the top, to help with hanging.


No comments:

Post a Comment