About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Chicken and Rice Dinner - Easy, one pan, delicious

Sort Of Risotto

Recently I made a flexible list of daily meal plans, just to give myself a break when I need to cook each day's dinner and don't know what to make. Mondays are chicken meals. We love rice with chicken, so I quickly made this easy and delicious dinner tonight with what I had on hand. My neighbour had given me zucchini and the local farm has fresh tomatoes and corn and garlic.
I should have taken a picture of this before I served it, but we were hungry and it smelled so very good. So here is a pic of the left over rice.



Ingredients: 1 large chicken breast, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 medium green zucchini, 1 cup Arborio rice, white wine, saffron.

How to:  In a large frying pan with a lid (I got mine at Ikea, it is part of the Ikea 365+ line of kitchen tools), I sautéed a large chicken breast (bone in and skin on) that I had sliced into 3 times along the flesh so that it would cook faster. I sautéed it in olive oil, skin down, on medium heat. After about 8 minutes, I turned down the heat and added a chopped onion to the pan. I pushed the chicken to the side of the pan, still skin side down, and left it there while doing the rest.
When the onion was soft and starting to brown I added 2 minced garlic cloves. After a minute I added a chopped zucchini. I stirred that all around, then added a cup of short grain rice and stirred to coat the rice. I added salt and pepper and fake saffron (real would be great, but pricey - this gives the colour but not the flavour of the real thing), then gurgled in about 1/4 cup of white wine. When that was nice and bubbly, I added 2 cups of water, brought it all to a boil, then put the lid on and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Then I turned the heat off, put it in a warm oven (200F) for 20 minutes while I sliced some tomatoes and cooked some corn on the cob. I cut the chicken into 2 pieces to serve.
Great dinner, and the wine had to be opened to use in the recipe, didn't it? So there it was, ready to be sipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment