About Me

My photo
Denman Island, British Columbia, Canada
Jean Cockburn retired from her professional career as an academic librarian in 2008 to become a textile artist living on Denman Island, British Columbia. She draws, quilts, embroiders, knits and crochets, makes wearable art, weaves baskets, dyes fabric, and paints watercolours. Her work has been exhibited locally in juried and group shows on Denman Island, in Courtenay, Comox, and Duncan on Vancouver Island, in West Vancouver, and across Canada with the Surface Design Association.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Eidos Sock

I spent the weekend in Vancouver at a wonderful friend's wonderful 80th birthday celebrations with all of her wonderful family and friends - all wonderful! When I wasn't doing wonderful things, I would slip off for some quiet time listening to Neal Stephenson's Cryptomonicon, an Audible downloaded audio book, on my iPhone and knitting with my wonderful Eidos sock yarn that is part of my Sock Summit stash. I decided to make a pair of straight forward toe-up, 4x4 ribbed, short-row heel socks for J. I would do one sock completely and keep the other half completed as an example for my Knitting Toe-Up Socks workshop at the October Creative Threads Conspiracy.
Well I just kept on knitting on the foot forgetting about the gusset. I started turning the heel and realized, whoops, I need to do the gusset. But, but, but - I did not frog back to where I should have started the gusset - too distracted by the wonderful imaginative world of Cryptomonicon I suppose. So I carried on regardless until last evening when I said to J., "Please slip these socks on your feet so I can check the length - they look rather long ...." - and indeed, I had knitted a flipper. See below. It will be frogged back and re-knit to the proper length. Lovely yarn to knit with, so no worries. And J. has ordered (well, I ordered with his charge card) a Signature circular needle for my upcoming birthday, so nothing is too much trouble for such a thoughtful man!

Grandchildren, great grandchildren, and friends of my wonderful friend at her 80th birthday party.

The flipper sock before being frogged and reduced in length to the reality of J.'s foot.


No comments:

Post a Comment